Step-by-Step Guide to Social Work Licensing in Utah

Part 1- Social Work License Categories and Exam Types: Which is the right one for you?

Types of exams:  Bachelors; Masters (intermediate); Clinical (advanced).

  • If you are applying for a SSW license and are in your last semester or have completed a BSW program register for the bachelor’s exam.
  • If you are in your last semester of study or have completed an MSW and are applying for the CSW license and plan to practice in Utah, you can take the Clinical exam (Utah only).   Note-you can opt to take the master’s level exam, but if when you apply for licensure as an LCSW, you will need to take the Clinical exam.  Also, taking the clinical exam does not make you eligible for the LCSW license.  You must meet the requirements for the LCSW license.
  • If you are applying for the LCSW license and took the master’s exam after graduation instead of the Clinical exam, register for the Clinical exam.
  • If you are applying for a CSW license, leaving Utah and the prospective jurisdiction does not allow you to take the clinical exam, register for the master’s exam (please review relevant laws and statutes for your prospective jurisdiction)


Examination Fees: ASWB charges separate fees for all examinations. It is your responsibility to submit the fees directly to ASWB.   The time limit for the exam: 4 hours

Part 2- Scheduling the Licensing Exam

  • Before you register to take the social work exam you must apply for preapproval through ASWB. 
  • You do this by completing an online application and paying a $60 fee through ASWB's website: You will receive a reply from ASWB requesting your transcript(s) OR if you are still a student and have not graduated, other required documentation, specifically “an original letter from your school social work program chair confirming that you are in the final semester of a master’s degree in social work from a CSWE accredited program.” Submit all requested documentation.

  • Once you have received ASWB approval via mail/email, follow the instructions to register for the APPROPRIATE ASWB exam. Keep in mind, that even though you are taking the clinical exam, you are only eligible for the CSW license until you have completed the required 4,000 supervised hours, in no less than two years.
  • Taking the ASWB exam early While Utah law allows you to take the ASWB exam during the last semester of your MSW program, there is no advantage to doing so since you will need your official transcript with a conferred degree in order to apply for the license, and the official transcript is typically not available until one week AFTER graduation exercises. Taking the exam early may put you at risk of missing important content that is taught later in the semester, not to mention critical prep time! As of 2015, you have a 45-day grace period to practice as a social worker before you have your formal CSW license, take advantage of this dispensation and take time to relax and prepare.

 Part 3: Applying for your CSW License.


  •  Once you have passed your exam, go to download, print, and complete the application for the CSW-level license.  You will need your final, official transcripts indicating a conferred degree.  The official transcript is typically not available until the week after graduation and can be obtained through your university’s Registrar’s office.  Do not break the seal on the envelope containing your transcripts!  Once you have completed the DOPL application and enclosed your official transcript allow about 2-3 weeks to receive your official CSW license!

Already licensed in another state. Guidelines for Applying for Licensure by Endorsement 

(Text is taken from the application for licensure. To access the application in its entirety, click here.)

If you are currently licensed as the equivalent of a clinical social worker in another state and have been engaged in lawful practice for not less than 4,000 hours, of which at least 1,000 hours are in mental health therapy, you may apply for Licensure by Endorsement. In addition to the items required by all applicants, you must submit the following:


  • Official verification of license from one or more states in which you are currently licensed. Verifications must cover the time period used to qualify for endorsement outlined above.
  • Official verification of passing the ASWB Clinical Exam. This may be included on the official verification above or from ASWB directly.
  • Verification of Active Practice as a LCSW. NOTE: You must have each employer complete a separate form, and the hours from all forms must total 4,000.


Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL)
Telephone Numbers: (801) 530-6628
(866) 275-3675 – Toll-free in Utah
Fax Number: (801) 530-6511