The Office of Professional Licensure Review (OPLR)
Mental Health Licensing Recommendations
1 CEU OFFERED
In August, OPLR presented their recommendations to improve licensing to the Utah State Legislature. Many of these recommendations will be a big change for Social Work licensing in Utah. We STRONGLY encourage you to familiarize yourself with these recommendations.
The Utah State legislature will review the recommendations and decide what to pursue via legislation during the 2024 session.
NASW-Utah has not full vetted these recommendations and has not taken a position on them yet. We will be fully engaged with OPLR, Utah Legislators, and other mental health organizations to ensure these changes have a positive impact on Utah Social Workers.
We are asking all Social Workers in Utah to watch the OPLR presentation to familiarize yourself with the recommendation's. For those who watch the presentation and answer the below quiz, you will receive a certificate for 1 CEU hour. The video is below and you can find the quiz at this LINK. You must receive a 13/16 on the quiz in order to receive the CEU certificate.
Licensing Changes - A Quick Glimpse
- Remove general supervision & increase direct client & observation hours
- Define supervision and require supervisors to take a minimum training
- Provide an alternative path to the clinical license that does not require a standardized exam. Supervision hours will be increased in lieu of the exam.
- Even with all recommendations, Utah will still be eligible to join the SW compact.
- Create a Behavioral Health Technician education and licensed certificate
- Create a Generalist Behavioral Health License (Bachelors level) in lieu of the SSW.
IMPORTANT MATERIALS TO REVIEW
OPLR Licensing Recommendations Summary
OPLR Licensing Recommendations Presentation
Utah Behavioral Health Assessment & Master Plan Review