Social Service Worker (SSW) License

Social Service Worker (SSW) License

A Social Service Worker is an entry-level (bachelor’s degree), social work generalist.   

Unlike master’s level social workers, SSW’s do not need a degree in social work (BSW) to qualify for licensure.  However, applicants without a BSW degree must take additional courses and work under the supervision of a licensed mental health therapist for 2000 hours (in no less than one year) prior to submitting an application for licensure.

Steps to getting your SSW License

If you have a BSW degree or are in your last semester of study in an accredited or candidate BSW program:

  • Step 1: Complete the ASWB Exam Pre-approval Application ($60).
  • Step 2: Receive email from ASWB providing exam eligibility information. In this email, ASWB will provide instructions for registering for the exam.
  • Step 3: Register for the ASWB bachelor's exam ($230). Register online or phone at 888-579-3926.
  • Step 4: Take the ASWB bachelor's exam, which is administered at testing centers throughout the state.
  • Step 5: Receive unofficial score immediately after taking the exam and an official score report will be forwarded to the regulatory board of the state in which you are seeking licensure.
  • Step 6: Apply for your SSW license (if in Utah)! If you do not pass the exam, you are eligible to take it again in 90 days.